Either by foot or cycling (available at the domain) Rauzan is a charming village rich in natural and cultural heritage and exceptional winemaking. Local shops are found in the centre near to the Castle (chemist, tobacconist, post office, bank, food shops…)
The architectural heritage
- The medieval castle listed as a historical monument, was built in the thirteenth century by John Lackland, the future King of England, and then restored in a Gothic style after the Hundred Years War. Today it retains an imposing dungeon 31m high and a magnificent palm vault in the main tower.
- The St. Peter’s Church, built in the late twelfth and early thirteenth centuries, listed as a historical monument.
- The town hall, a castle built around 1862 with a bell tower dating 1911.
- The facades of the old town hall, post office, grocery store and other richly decorated or sculpted houses.
- The Domaine de Mercade Dovecote, built in the fifteenth century, is a typical example of this type of architecture: circular tower with a conical roof and 4 small windows resting on a deep ledge preventing predators from reaching the birds.
The caves of Rauzan Grangeneuve
Rauzan The Producers Union and Cave Cooperative Grangeneuve met in 2008 to become the first winemaking unit in France in AOC of wine. It currently represents 3,200 hectares of vineyards in the heart of the Bordeaux vineyards and includes nearly 300 cooperators. It produces about 176,000 hectoliters of AOC wine of Bordeaux Supérieur, Bordeaux, Entre-Deux-Mers and Crémant de Bordeaux.
The Celestine Cave
Unique site in Gironde, the cave, carved into the limestone rock by an underground river, so visit “cave” with boots and helmets (duration 45 minutes)
Dates to remember
The Gourmand Break: second weekend in June
Walking tour of 6 km in the heart of vineyards, dotted with 7 gourmet and musical stages, organized by the cellars of Rauzan Grangeneuve.
The antique market: in April and October
Not to be missed event, attracting nearly 9000 visitors twice a year. Over 140 exhibitors offer you beautiful ‘feast-for-the-eyes’ objects in accordance with the “Quality Label” initiated by the Organizing Committee.
To get all the information on activities, places to discover and events around Rauzan, please visit the Castillon – Pujols tourist office website.